These are my final cinegraphs. They actually took me much longer than I expected. The hardest part for me was taking videos good enough to make into good cinegraphs. Even though I used a tripod, it took me about 30 minutes to an hour to make each video, and all of them I had to attempt more than once to get a video good enough (with only the right movement) to make into a cinegraph. I also struggled a lot with coming up with ideas for what to take videos of. Originally, I planned to do 3 cinegraphs each of 3 different subjects: Me, Hunter, and the City. In the end, though, I felt like 3 of each was overkill, so I decided instead to do 2 cinegraphs each of 4 different subjects: Me, Hunter, the City, and running water (I thought the running water looked cool in cinegraph form…). Because I changed the number of cinegraphs I was making from 9 to 8, I also had to change the orientation of my grid (for displaying them) from 3x3 to 2x4. I think I like this version much better than I would have liked the nine cinegraphs in a 3x3 grid, it feels less cramped and it is easier to notice each cinegraph on its own, as well as the grid of all of them as a whole.
For each cinegraph I took a series of very short videos (2-5 seconds long) using a Cannon 5D Mark II on a tripod. After I took the videos for each cinegraph, I imported the video frames as layers into photoshop (limiting all of them to every 4 frames). I then duplicated the first layer of each and dragged the copy layer to the very top of all the layers so only that layer could be seen. I did some retouching there, and then I made a mask and masked out the object and areas in the cinegraph that I wanted to be moving. For some of the cinegraphs I had to mask the individual frames (all 50-75 of them…) when the object was moving slightly in different areas than it was meant to. For some of them (like the one of the film developing tank, and the one of the flag) there were frames with movements I did not want, or unimportant ones I felt prolonged the cinegraph too much, so to correct this I had to go through and remove many of the frames, and in some instances (like the one of Hunter’s hair moving, and the one of Hunter waving) I had to copy and reverse some of the frames in order to make the cinegraph flow properly after I removed some of the irrelevant frames and ones with unwanted movement. For most of them I made multiple versions, and then used the one I liked the best. Unfortunately, I had to make the cinegraphs pretty small in order to post them on tumblr, so as I was saving them as gifs I had to resize them all to be 350x197.
Unfortunately my cinegraphs are still not perfect. In a few of them there is still some slight unwanted wiggle from unwanted movement that I tried to get rid of but was ultimately unable to. However, overall I think my cinegraphs came out well (especially since it was my first time making them), and they came out pretty much how I hoped and imagined they would. I had always wanted to learn how to make a cinegraph, and I definitely have a pretty solid understanding of that process now, so I am happy with the results of my final.